Saturday, January 5

0201


First post of 2008.

There I was, getting ready to tuck into my yummy char kway teow with extra hum, when I saw out of the corner of my eye, a white streak going diagonally past my face from right to left.

With half my attention on AC's riveting tale of a spitting deejay and clubbing hijinks, I didn't notice that whatever that airborne thing was had landed on my plate. Luckily, an alert CW pointed it out. On close scrutiny, we realised it was bird poop.

"Ewww...Ewww...Ewww..." I couldn't stop exclaiming, alternating between leaning as far away from the offensive whitish goop as possible and examining it in morbid fascination. "My char kway teowwwwwwwww..."

"Why don't you just push it aside? You can still eat the rest," someone suggested so helpfully. (No one would own up to this later on when I questioned the witnesses.)

"Nooooooooo!" I wailed, to continued chortles from my unsympathetic lunch companions, some of whom were merrily tucking into their unsullied char kway teow.

Using only the barest of finger tips, I carried the plate back to the char kway teow uncle and told him in my best whining voice: "Got bird shit!"

Even the sweaty harassed uncle had to pause in the middle of frying and crack a grin at my predicament. And the auntie very kindly gave me another plate and refused to take my money.

Since bird shit is supposed to be lucky -- not sure why -- I've gone and bought 4D for only the second time in my life. (I won the first and last time I did.)

We'll find out tomorrow if betting $12 was a good idea -- or a bird-brained one.

P.S. Can you spot my good luck charm in the pix?

No comments: