Monday, July 28

cupcakes take the cake



Had an inexplicable craving for Magnolia Bakery's diabetes-inducing cupcakes last week and made a batch on Sunday to satisfy my sweet tooth. I also had some heavenly vanilla pods -- a gift from Bali -- which I was dying to use.

I found the recipes for the vanilla cupcake and vanilla buttercream frosting easily online, but reduced the scary amounts of sugar by half for both the cupcakes and the frosting. No harm done to the final product, I feel.

What did hurt the cupcakes was refrigeration, which I discovered the next morning. The cupcakes became rather dense and damp, and the buttercream no longer light and fluffy.

Then I went to the Magnolia Bakery website and saw this fine print: Never refrigerate or freeze your Magnolia Cupcakes. Darn.

3 comments:

peanut butter wolf said...

pretty! what did you use to squeeze out the buttercream into that shape?

Zann said...

we had no pastry bag or fancy baking stuff, so we just put the buttercream into a plastic bag and cut off one corner. then just anyhow squirt! super fun!

mummyseng said...

Looks great... I saw some Magnolia cookbooks at Kino and the pics all look sooooo good!