Wednesday, February 18

25 random things

For the sake of potential stalkers (I'm thinking of the lawyer, the mathematician and the economist), here are my 25 random things cutted and pasted and completely unedited from Facebook, so you won't have to waste time trawling my formidable archive of useless ramblings for other freakish similarities to Wallflower.

1. I'm deathly afraid of butterflies and moths. They're evil. (But cockroaches are ok and lizards are downright cute.)

2. When I was about nine, I won a Lego competition. I built a very ordinary house, and defeated the complicated airplane constructed by a young boy. I still have the photo of us posing with our creations. He looked very pissed off in it. I adore Lego and it is my dream to visit Legoland.

3. At its longest, my hair was long enough to reach the middle of my back. But too bad I never got round to taking one of those suggestive "naked" photos with hair draped all over my boobs.

4. My grandma's laundry shop used to be next to the old MPH and now-demolished -- sniff! -- National Library. I used to spend hours at those two places reading for free, going back only for meals. All the salesgirls and librarians knew me.

5. I was bedridden for three months a few years ago. I spent it watching Da Chang Jin (Jewel In The Palace), knitting and writing book reviews.

6. My first dog was called Brownie. He was brown. When the whole family went on holiday, my mom took the chance to give him away. I cried for days.

7. I love all things vanilla. Scraping the black seeds from vanilla pods makes me unreasonably happy.

8. My guilty pleasure is reading trashy romance novels, the racier the better. I get them for $1 each at the Salvation Army.

9. At my poorest, my bank account had only three figures. This was after my year in London. I used to take part in psychology experiments on campus to make a quick quid, I was that poor.

10. To the best of my knowledge, I have only one enemy.

11. I miss the smell of my doggie's paws when I travel. He doesn't miss me at all, I'm pretty sure.

12. My friend and I recently pretended to have a lovers' tiff at the airport check-in counter and requested for separate seats because we are both anti-social creatures when we fly. We don't want to talk, we don't want to be disturbed during the movie, and we both like window seats.

13. On two birthdays, I wished for snow and got it. On another two birthdays, I wished for sand and ended up at Sentosa.

14. I used to lead a double life as a powerful mage cleric by the name of Blush. I still miss those days -- and my One Ring.

15. Two friends and I have a pact to visit a nudist colony together, some day.

16. When I was in kindergarten, our teacher asked the class: "Do you want to be a human being or a sparrow?" I was the only one who wanted to have a bird brain.

17. Accounts of dogs and cats dying make me bawl.

18. During my party days, I have done the following: gotten lost in a gay club, kissed a bartender and sat on the curb outside Zouk with a mattress on my lap and my head on it.

19. I write down almost every single word I will say before I interview anyone. My brain has a tendency to go blank under pressure and I'm supremely horrible at ad libbing.

20. I hope I won't grow up to be my mother. But I think I'm halfway there already.

21. Kismet Kittens is the title of my novel, if I ever get round to writing it. I have no idea what it is about. Tiny cats, maybe?

22. I still find it slightly wondrous when boys talk to me. I think it's a lingering effect of 10 years of single-sex education.

23. Having someone gently dig your ears while you just lie there and close your eyes is the most loving feeling ever. Holding hands while sleeping comes a close second.

24. I deliberately stomp on the toes and jab the ribs of people who try to board the train before allowing others to get off. I also "accidentally" pull the hair of pole leaners. I've yet to figure out a way to passive-aggressively get non-stop yakkers to shut up though.

25. I love making lists.

5 comments:

wallfleur_mama said...

oh man. it's alright that you think lizards are "downright cute" but cockroaches are SO NOT okay!

shit i said the C word. nightmare.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Stumbled upon your blog. :)
Point 24: I do the same things haha! Also, I once politely asked a woman to shut up cos she had been yakking loudly on her phone. She was so apologetic I felt really bad. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she whispered into her phone, "Am I talking very loudly? Someone on the train thinks I'm too loud! Oh maybe cos she's reading."

Zann said...

meredith, you should watch joe's apartment. cockroaches that sing and dance!

and anon, your comment cracked me up! i once was on a bus with a man who played music on his phone at top volume. everyone on board looked irritated but no one dared to say anything cos the guy was HUGE!

Anonymous said...

http://vimeo.com/2150757

http://www.thecoolhunter.net/lifestyle/Lego-Revival/

Lego love for you!

wallfleur_mama said...

ew!