Monday, July 12

midnight at borders

While browsing at Borders yesterday evening, my eyes landed on a very familiar book cover -- Hanif Kureishi's Midnight All Day.

And I could still remember all too clearly the beginning of a line from the book which I read in London. Yet, as I stood at the "3 for 2" bargain table, jostled left and right by those not interested in the piles of Milan Kundera and Banana Yoshimoto, and leafed through the book looking for the rest of my favourite line, I just could not find the right page.

The feeling that overwhelmed me then was that of seeking, seeking, seeking something that I know is there, within my reach -- but not being able to find it.

Finally succumbed and trawled my blog for the post which I wrote almost exactly a year ago. Am I doomed to always return to the past to search for what I want?

"We are unerring in our choice of lovers, particularly when we require the wrong person. There is an instinct, magnet or aerial which seeks the unsuitable. The wrong person is, of course, right for something -- to punish, bully, or humiliate us, let us down, leave us for dead, or, worst of all, give us the impression that they are not inappropriate, but almost right, thus hanging us in love's limbo. Not just anyone can do this."

food diary
tuna bun
Milo
duck noodles [lotsa veg, very little noodles, extremely fatty breast meat]
tea with sugar [it's pouring outside and I need something to warm me up. Brrr.]
carnivorous quantities of beef and chicken kebabs with a couple of pieces of naan

No comments: