Wednesday, November 16

rainy days and mondays

My Korean flatmate in London used to tell me that the best time to have cold noodles was -- contrary to conventional thinking -- when it was cold.

It was wet and rainy when I left work. I had been craving for zhajiangmian but the thought of trudging back from Crystal Jade in the rain made me hop onto a cab to head straight home.

I started boiling water for my cha soba and chopping carrots and scavenging for whatever other ingredients I happened to have in my pantry.

The clean taste of cha soba, the rich creaminess of century egg yolk, the crunchy flavour of carrots, the crispy seaweed bits, the cold-enough-to-hurt-your-teeth noodles, the gelatinous century egg "white", all mixed together to form the almost perfect meal.

I say almost perfect, because it would have been lovely to wash it down with Choya.

No comments: