Saturday, May 31

"You Singaporeans just don't want to go home, do you? It's like going back to prison."

This was said to me by a guy from Sydney, whose boyfriend is from Singapore and a friend of a friend. They both just moved to London to look for work, and of course, to be together. It's so cute how they are setting up home, scavenging for furniture from the trash, cooking for each other, just doing simple things that couples take for granted.

Then, there is this Malay-Chinese couple I know who are also reluctant return home after studying here for four years, cos they know her ultra-strict Muslim parents will never approve of him. So they are holed up in a cosy flat in London, sort of "us against the world" kinda thing.

And of course, there is me. Not that I'm in love -- with anyone or with London -- and there is nothing concrete holding me here, yet I'm not ready to leave. I just want this break from "real life" to go on for a bit longer.

So, is London a haven? Or is Singapore a prison?

No comments: