Tuesday, May 20

flexing my mussels


Thwarted in my attempt to have sambal mussels last night at No Signboard at VivoCity -- turns out the super yummy $15 dish is only available at its Geylang restaurant -- I started surfing the net for recipes to make my own.

Somehow, I got sidetracked by baked mussels with garlic, butter and cheese. How can anyone resist that deadly combination? So I modified the online recipe and made these babies instead.

It's dead easy.

Soak mussels in salt water and clean and debeard them. Throw any opened shells away.

Preheat oven -- New oven! Yay! -- to about 120 deg C. Line baking tray with aluminium foil.

Put a large pot of water to boil on the stove.

Mince garlic and mix with butter at room temperature. Cut thin slices of mozzarella cheese, one per mussel.

When water comes to a boil, throw in the mussels and cover the lid for a couple of minutes till the shells open.

Remove the mussels from the water and open them, leaving the meat on half a shell.

Put a dollop of garlic butter and top with a slice of mozzarella.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Next time, I'm going to try making the stir-fry sambal version. Hopefully it will be as yummy as this.

No comments: