Saturday, March 25

innocent educational trip

I finally made it to the Omni Max yesterday.

Those who are aware of the significance will be reassured to know that it was an innocent educational trip, with three other slacker-subs-slash-science-geeks skiving during lunch.

I think the best part was the hands-on exhibits, like working the water wheel until my right arm ached, peddling the wind machine until I got a stomachache from laughing and trying to disprove Bernoulli with a beach ball. The show was pretty grand, too.

It was good to pretend to be young and carefree again, even if it was only for a couple of hours. [I recall now going to Toys 'R' Us some 10 years ago with some boy I still remember I disliked quite intensely and, despite that, having lots of fun there, too, pretending to be a teenager again. Talk about arrested development, now I want to go to the Road Safety Park.]

But later, I couldn't resist goading my intended Science-Centre-hooky-player by telling him that I went -- without him. He feigned nonchalance, but the fact is that he asked me three times -- and I evaded three times -- who I went with.

Anyway, these days we are careful now to only touch on chaste topics, such as persistence of vision, photosynthesis, volcanic eruptions and the like. He grudgingly admitted that he would have loved the Omni Max, but if we had gone, it would not have been an "innocent educational trip".

2 comments:

Manic Mummy said...

I went to the Omni Max Theatre three years ago, and they had this hilarious National Young Inventors Exhibition. Featuring a caning machine (so that each stroke will be uniform) and anti-seacraft devices (coke bottles tied up with string). More comedy than science.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I typed 'vasculitis singapore' in technorati and it linked to your blog. I was diagnosed with livedoid vasculitis in 2000 and lived in NTU Hall 11 in 2001-2002. How coincidental that is ar. Just dropped by to say Hi to you and hope you are coping with it well.

-sherry-
sherrysoon@gmail.com