Saturday, March 4

taxi taxi

Lest you think I can't blog on anything aside from text messages, here's something I finally verified to be true in Tokyo -- Japan has the most expensive cabs.

The junket organisers had arranged for a car to send us from the airport to the hotel. Ostensibly, it was called a limo, but really it was just a large nondescript black sedan driven by a well-groomed middle-aged man who spoke excellent English and carried suitcases with ease in his Mickey Mouse white gloves.

A one-way trip cost 55,000 yen. That's S$765 or roughly equivalent to a round-trip economy class air ticket from here to there. I couldn't believe it, I kept insisting that there was an extra zero. This beats my previous most expensive cab fare -- £50 for a black cab from Heathrow to south London -- hands down.

We took the same "limo" when we left Tokyo, and I tried my best to appreciate the ride, knowing I'd never be as extravagant on my own expense. Alas, the excellent smooth driving and tedium of the expressway put me to sleep for most of the one-hour ride.

No comments: