Sunday, February 5

love, all

I did watch Match Point. Alone, in case anyone was wondering.

Ahhh, those scrumptious British accents, that familiar walk along the Thames under a cloudy sky, the cavernous Tate Modern and the best gift shop in the world...Nostalgia blocks out all the bad stuff like soggy feet, smelly rivers and having no one to discuss the art pieces I'd seen but with myself.

Of course, unlike in the movie, I was nowhere near any upper crusty tennis court or posh champagne-fuelled parties or genteel country estates. I don't move in those social circles, mine was more Elephant and Castle than Kensington.

Ostansibly, the film is about adultery, but really, to paraphrase Woody Allen, it's more about how "being lucky is more important than being good". And to me, it was also a visit back to London via an $8 movie ticket.

Even though having a bit on the side, as the Brits would say, has been on my mind, I would say this doesn't come close to the palpable yearning of In The Mood for Love [Oh! Tony!] or even the slow smoulder of Unfaithful [the presence of Richard Gere is quite a dampener].

But having said that, this is still a classy piece of work. And for anyone who has ever cheated before, there are lines and scenes which cut just a wee bit too close to the bone. But in quite a delicious way.

No comments: