Wednesday, July 30

The arrogance and ignorance of youth -- and I mean it in the nicest possible way. Was having lunch with this fresh-out-of-Cambridge fellow intern, and was struck by how self-assured kids are these days. In her opinion, "all magazines are immoral. They make you aspire to be perfect and beautiful which you can never be in real life. I will never work for them". I never had that kind of courage or conviction to make those kind of proclamations when I was 21. Or even now, for that matter.

She also politely wanted to know how old I was and whether I wanted to be a journalist. When I told her how ancient I was and that I used to be a writer, she asked incredulously, "Why are you doing work experience?"

I've stopped asking myself that question, since there are only two more days to go.

No comments: