Thursday, July 24

Without me being aware of it, the half-way mark of this countdown has drifted by in a lazy hazy daze. There are now exactly 40 more days to go [well, give or take a day for the time difference, and my bad math] before I am home.

I'm hyperventilating and procrastinating at the same time over my final essay, which is still in the embryo stage. I thought I could get away with bluffing a lot of things by doing it on the SARS cover-up in China, since the ang moh lecturers aren't able to read Chinese, but the whole thing is about to explode in my face, cos I realise I have to interview the Beijing correspondents from AP, Reuters, Time mag, NYT, and other influential international publications. But my basic background research hasn't even gotten off the ground yet.

It doesn't help that I'm at The Independent during the day, even though I am not doing much actual writing, just calling people for quotes and anecdotes. [Sidetrack: Even though I'm just a lowly intern here, I am gratified that no one has made me the Coffee Gal. Everyone is self-sufficient here, unlike the chi-chi Cosmo chicks with their designer lattes.] I am so tired out from waking up early, the morning rush hour, and acting keen the whole day that when I get back, I have little energy to do my readings.

Also have to make time for sending out resumes in a last-ditch attempt to stay here, even though I haven't really figured out where I wanna be. Just keeping my options open. I'm still torn between "Dem, I need to get a job writing crap in London so I don't go back to writing crap in Singapore" and "I want my laksa with extra hum and I want it now, demmit".

No comments: