Friday, July 11

I've cracked the recipe for Champinones Al Ajillo [or going by its more mundane name, button mushrooms with garlic and olive oil] on my second try. Turns out that the secret ingredient is balsamic vinegar, as it is in so many other dishes like spaghetti bolognese, grilled pork chop and even chicken salad.

Very pleased with my success in kitchen experimentation, so here's my bastardised version of a classic tapas dish:

Finely chop enough garlic to overpower a vampire. Heat saucepan and saute garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Throw in button mushrooms and lower heat. Add about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and same amount of balsamic vinegar. Allow to simmer until liquid is almost gone. In the meantime, quickly chop a big bunch of parsley. Remove saucepan from heat, add salt and pepper to taste and top with parsley. Enjoy!


Still on my fave subject of food. In the short space of five days, I have managed to stuff 1 kg of bak kwa down my throat. I would have prefered to savour the precious contraband smuggled from Singapore to London via Frankfurt and Barcelona, but was warned that bak kwa does not have eternal life, unlike, say, beef jerky. Not that I minded the excuse to gorge.

Tomorrow, I am going on a supermarket sweep. Isn't it pathetic that the highlight of my week is a trip to Sainsbury's? But, in my anal retentive way, I'm already making my shopping list, cos I intend to make mee rebus [from a packet of ready-made sauce my sis brought from Singapore half a year ago which I forgot all about] and donut holes [easier to shape and easier to devour in large quantities]. More gorging to come in the following days.

No comments: